As 2017 approaches, it’s important to take note of continuing and emerging eCommerce industry trends. The online retail marketplace continues to grow as a preferred channel for consumers. With the new year just around the corner, you’ll want to familiarize yourself with top eCommerce trends for 2017, and adjust your marketing strategy accordingly.
What Trends Were Big in 2016?
In 2016, customers were expected to spend at least $226 billion, a 45 percent increase on 2015’s numbers. Other eCommerce industry trends that marked 2016 included:
- Smartphones making up roughly 50 percent of all U.S. eCommerce revenue.
- Customers expecting a more unique, personalized shopping experience.
- Integrating mobile payment and loyalty programs for shoppers.
2017 at a Glance: The eCommerce Industry Trends to Watch For
The eCommerce industry trends for 2017 can have an enormous impact on your business – whether that’s positive or negative is up to you. Staying ahead of trends and proactively adjusting your marketing strategy means you could gain ground on competitors. Conversely, failing to take note of eCommerce trends means you could find yourself falling behind hundreds of other eCommerce brands.
Which eCommerce industry trends for 2017 should you be on the lookout for?
- Real-Time Customer Service – Shoppers value immediate, responsive customer service. You might lose out on potential sales if customers spend too long on the phone waiting to talk with a representative. Consider upgrading your customer service strategy to include more real-time engagement. This includes answering inquiries via social media platforms, like Facebook and Twitter, or sending important updates via email.
- Mobile Engagement – Mobile shopping shows no signs of slowing. In fact, researchsuggests that eCommerce mobile revenue will increase by at least 50 percent by the end of 2017. Customers are constantly on the go, relying on their mobile devices to browse, shop and buy items online. Make sure your eCommerce site features a mobile responsive website, making it simple for customers to shop and find what they’re looking for.
- Simpler Returns – Today’s online shippers want easy, hassle-free returns that don’t take weeks to process. Make sure your warehouse is set up to receive and quickly process customer returns. You can also include a return shipping label in the original package, so buyers don’t have to worry about printing labels themselves.
Dotcom Distribution is dedicated to helping you stay ahead of the curve. Our warehouses and facilities simplify eCommerce logistics like shipping, returns and fulfillment, allowing you to focus on providing the best customer experience possible.
Carefully consider the eCommerce industry trends for 2017, and let Dotcom Distribution take care of the rest. To get started, contact us today.